Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Thanksgiving Thoughts + Rainbow Reflections

Well, last week's Thanksgiving celebrations were fun. I played soccer, went ice-skating, participated in some glow-stick wars, talked/laughed with friends and family, consumed pie, consumed turkey, consumed rolls, etc., etc.

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone, and already Christmas is coming! It's unbelievable how quickly that happens. Still, as Aragorn puts it in Return of the King (movie, not book), "But it is not this day!" And so for now, some final Thanksgiving discussions.


A little while ago, I was able to snap a couple hasty pictures of a beautiful rainbow. So today, I want to focus on one aspect of God's character which is demonstrated by this rainbow:



God's faithfulness.

Thanksgiving is a day on which we celebrate another year of God's provisions and thank Him for them. He has been faithful. He is faithful.


Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations. -Deuteronomy 7:9



This is a sign of God's faithfulness, which He placed in the sky after the worldwide flood, 
to remind us that never again will He flood the entire earth. 

He never has. And we know by this rainbow He's placed in the sky that He never will.

He is faithful. He gives us salvation, he provides us with what is best for us, he cares for us.

Thankfulness goes on after the holiday for it. I'm thankful for the times I've had this Thanksgiving -- conversations and fellowship and activities with friends and family, baking lots of amazing food -- it's been lots of fun . And I am thankful for God's faithfulness this Thanksgiving, so I conclude with the perfect words of a hymn:


Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see;
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.



All images by me.

6 comments:

  1. Where did you go ice skating? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An indoor rink called SkateQuest. It's really, really nice. :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes!! Unfortunately, the camera didn't really capture it. :(

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Maria! This was such a good reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Carrie-Grace!! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! This blog is a place where I'm learning, so any encouragement/helpful feedback is much appreciated. :)