Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rain and Responsibility: reflections

     Rain and responsibility just don't go together. (Except for the sake of alliteration, which somehow slipped into my post title.)

     Last Saturday, my siblings and I were helping out at a friend's Eagle Scout project. After several hours of working in the hot sun, the sky began clouding over. Rain had been predicted for the afternoon, and here it came. We had only just finished priming one fence before painting it, and stripping another fence. A group of the workers hurried to start the painting job... and then the rain fell.

     
    But we still had work to do, so the painting group headed back to the other fence to assist with smoothing it with sandpaper. Our plastic tents could only cover so much of the fence, so we worked in the rain and got thoroughly soaked. 
    
    The rain fell harder and harder. We kept working, until the fence was smooth, but there was no way we could paint in the rain. So we slowed down on the project, and... ran about in the rain for a bit. 
  
   That's exactly the sort of thing I really don't do very often. 
   
    I tend to want to be responsible and mature. Maybe it's something to do with getting older (I'm sixteen). Maybe it's something to do with being a firstborn. I don't know for sure. Anyway, running about in the rain was really not my idea of responsibility. I put it off for a little while, but it did look like fun...
      
     Getting soaked was completely inevitable. The rain was coming down faster and harder. So I decided not to care. The rain felt incredible after the hours of working in the heat. And my sisters, a friend, and I were soon completely drenched with rain. And it felt amazing. (I suppose we could have chosen to work under the area of the fence covered by the tent, but those parts had already been worked on.) It was so much fun. We ran around laughing, completely drenched, and enjoying every minute of it.
  
 It's not necessary to be mature when rain is falling. 

That is, if you're going to get wet anyway.


A picture of my sisters, a friend, and me, taken after the rain had calmed down. The picture really doesn't show how wet we were, though.
                   

4 comments:

  1. Hehe looks like it was fun! I too occasionally have some trepidation about joining in the romp and play of younger ones. But then I think, "Oh, why not?!" and join in. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! This blog is a place where I'm learning, so any encouragement/helpful feedback is much appreciated. :)