Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Christmas - Lights & A Log

 Well, Christmas is over already! Definitely a merry one, though.

I took some photos of the lights outside our house. It's fun to experiment with lights against darkness. Unfortunately, the centers of the little bulbs keep getting whited out. But the shining glow surrounding the tip makes up for that, I think.



It's really nice to have columns outside around which to wrap strings of Christmas lights!

One of my favorites.






Also, I made a Bûche de Noël, otherwise known as a Yule Log cake, for Christmas Eve dessert! It was quite an interesting experience. This cake is basically a thin sheet of cake rolled up with vanilla buttercream, topped with chocolate buttercream, and textured and cut to look like a log. "Yule logs" were an ancient Christmas tradition; only, those ones were real logs. Today's Yule logs are cakes. I think I prefer that.

This one was an adventure. A day's work to make, at least for me. (Things get interesting when a recipe calls for the use of a candy thermometer... and you don't have one...) Still, I was completely satisfied with the final result.





It looks so professional!!



Oh, and re-watching It's a Wonderful Life was fun, too; such a good old black-and-white movie of how one discouraged man realizes his influence in his town and its people.

 "Amazing, how one man's life touches so many others." -It's a Wonderful Life

 Christmas was indeed merry, and I'm looking forward to 2017!

4 comments:

  1. The Yule cake looks awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photographing Christmas lights is sooo tricky! I've never heard of a Yule Log cake, but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, haha. Still, it was fun, possibly because of the challenge. ;)
      Thanks! :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! This blog is a place where I'm learning, so any encouragement/helpful feedback is much appreciated. :)