Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Concerning Hobbits: Celebrating A Belated Birthday

     
   Last Thursday was a rather special day.
    Any guesses why?

    Hint: It was September 22.

   Without further ado, last Thursday was the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins! Two very important hobbits from J. R. R. Tolkien's incredible literary works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It is no longer September 22, but the birthdays can still be celebrated! Although I don't have any of Gandalf's fireworks, sadly. 


"Come! Now is the time for speech and merriment!"
   First:
Links to my review posts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
   I think those were two of the most fun book review posts to write. They include in-depth book discussions, movie reviews, and some sketches I did of various Tolkien things.

   And second, some thoughts:

"Tell us now the full tale!"

    I've loved Tolkien's works for so many years. They've been a part of my life for a very long time indeed. I've read the books so many times I've lost count. I've read the history behind them (although, attacking The Silmarillion at the age of thirteen was somewhat challenging). I've read other works by Tolkien. His Essay on Enchantment/Faerie, from The Tolkien Reader, is pretty amazing. I've seen the movies (not that many times though) and can tell you exactly what's wrong with them in comparison with the books. I know a bit of movie trivia from reading and re-reading The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy. Middle-earth is a superbly crafted world that never fails to impress and captivate me. 


    Today's spotlight falls on the hobbits whose birthday occurred on September 22nd in the books that tell their story. Bilbo and Frodo Baggins are both unlikely heroes -- not chosen/destined, but instead those to whom adventurous lots fall. And they take up their challenges with admirable determination.

"Courage is found in unlikely places."

      Bilbo Baggins begins his quest as a sturdy fellow who wants nothing more than to go back home (except for that Took strain which keeps popping up and urging him onward). He discovers quite by accident that he can be brave, even courageous, when he must fight for his life in goblin tunnels and against nasty cave trolls. He even learns that he can riddle a crafty dragon and live to tell the story.
     Frodo Baggins doesn't mind the thought of adventure, but hesitates a little at the thought of taking up such an important quest. It's terrifying that this One Ring should fall to him, of all people. But he too discovers courage he didn't know he had, enough to stand up to Black Riders, orcs, and a giant spider.
     Why do we love Bilbo and Frodo so much?
     Maybe because we resonate with them. Perhaps you don't like the thought of leaving everything you know behind for a whim. Or perhaps you'd love an adventure, but you're not sure if you'll ever get one that you'd like. (Adventures in stories generally have some unpleasant effects on the adventurers.) Maybe in that we're like these two hobbits. And I think there are more similarities. Hobbits are very sturdy, down-to-earth folk (which makes sense, since they're pretty close to the ground). They're probably the most relate-able Tolkien's fantasy folk. Although I very much love Tolkien's Elves, it's a lot harder to relate with that flawless, distant kind. The Dwarves... well, I don't know, maybe some people do relate well with them. But I don't have masses of red hair, I'm not short, and I don't have any urges to grab an ax and charge the enemy yelling in Dwarvish. (Let me know if you think you resemble one.) The Hobbits are very real little people, who go barefoot, laugh boisterously, sing humorous songs, plant gardens, throw amazing birthday parties, and like to eat. ('Taters, precious.) Bilbo and Frodo appreciate good books and poetry, and write a bit of their own. They value other people (maybe not the Sackville-Bagginses, though) and loyally defend their comrades. In Frodo's case, this means being willing to separate from the Fellowship in order not to bring danger to his companions on the road to Mordor. Although, of course, his above-and-beyond loyal friend Sam sticks with him anyway. Bilbo and Frodo Baggins are some of the most richly developed characters I've ever read about. (Some of the others are the rest of the Lord of the Rings cast.)

     Today's post celebrates Bilbo and Frodo Baggins's birthdays. But really, it's in honor of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, for writing the epic masterpiece The Lord of the Rings.

Far over the misty mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold.


The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.



All quotes from J. R. R. Tolkien. All images by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! This blog is a place where I'm learning, so any encouragement/helpful feedback is much appreciated. :)