Friday, July 22, 2016

The Lord of the Rings, by J . R. R. Tolkien - Quotes

      Since I reviewed J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings last week (link to my review here), I wanted to do a collection of quotes from this literary masterpiece (that's what I would term it, anyway). Some of these are inspirational/insightful, some are simply phrases I find humorous. If you haven't read these books, I hope these intrigue you. Enjoy!

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can. 
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.


Bilbo met the guests (and additions) at the new white gate. He gave away presents to all and sundry -- the latter were those who went out again by a back way and came in again by the gate.

"Well, you know your own business, maybe," said Mr. Butterbur, looking suspiciously at Strider. "But if I was in your plight, I wouldn't take up with a Ranger."
"Then who would you take up with?" asked Strider. "A fat innkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?"

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens," said Gimli. 

"Maybe, " said Elrond, "but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall."
"Yet sworn word may strengthen quaking heart," said Gimli.
"Or break it," said Elrond. "Look not too far ahead!"

"The Ring! Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing!"


"May the others find a safe road! ... I don't suppose we shall see them again." 
"Yet we may, Mr. Frodo. We may," said Sam.

"I have spoken words of hope. But only of hope. Hope is not victory."


Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?

"They cannot conquer for ever!" said Frodo.

"What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?"
"Po--ta--toes," said Sam. "The Gaffer's delight, and rare good ballast for an empty belly. But you won't find any, so you needn't look. But be good Smeagol and fetch me the herbs and I'll think better of you. What's more, if you turn over a new leaf, and keep it turned, I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish and chips served by S. Gamgee. You couldn't say no to that."
"Yes, yes we could. Spoiling nice fish, scorching it. Give me fish now, and keep nassty chips!"
"Oh, you're hopeless!" said Sam.

Tall ships and tall kings,
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones 
And one white tree.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."


All quotes by J. R. R. Tolkien. All pictures/media by me.

2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts! This blog is a place where I'm learning, so any encouragement/helpful feedback is much appreciated. :)